In Romania there has been a concern to train engineers for the needs of the military which started in 1924-1925. Documents dating back from 1930-1932 acknowledge such preoccupations concerning the setting up of a technical structure in the military, necessary to support its combat capability.

By Act 72 of 11 March 1932 there was set up the Military Technical Corp, an organism with specific attributions in the Romanian Military. The Military Technical Corp created a technical education institution offering the engineers competencies to solve problems specific to the military and specializing them in the various services. Engineer officers were also trained in civilian institutions in domains and specialties of interest for the military. Nevertheless, the advanced technologies used in the military required the setting up of a military technical higher education institution to comply quantitatively and qualitatively with the need for engineer officers in the Romanian Military. Such institution was to be based on the military and civilian education structures (institutes, schools, sections) created between 1927-1936 for the training of military engineers for both the military and the defence industry.

Taking into account the afore mentioned tradition and needs there was founded the Military Technical Academy by  Decree no. 371 of 14 September 1949, with the mission “to train engineer officers with adequate technical education for the  specific services, necessary to staff commands, units, formations, and specialized military institutions”; the institution was organized into five faculties: Armament and Ammunition, Tanks and Moto-mechanized Vehicles, Aviation, Communications, Navy.

Since 1953, by Decision no. 660, the Military Technical Academy has been  habilitated to conduct doctoral studies.

From an organizational point of view, between 1959-1990, the Military Technical Academy, functioned distinctively, as a polytechnic academic entity, within the Military Academy.

By Government Decision No. 550 of 17 May 1990, the Military Technical Academy was again set up as a higher education institution in its own right.

In 1992, by the Decision of the Romanian Government No. 612, there was regulated the organization and functioning of the Military Technical Academy with the mission of carrying out higher education and scientific research. This decision was updated and supplemented by the Decision of the Government No. 264 of 14 March 2007.

MTA was accredited as a military higher education institution by Decisions of the Government 225/1995, 294/1997, 442/1998, 535/1999, 696/2000, 410/2002, 264/2007, 635/2008, 4936/ 2008 and 749/2009 having the following missions:

-to train engineer officers (through the three cycles: Bachelor, Master and Doctorate) in the fields and specialties accredited in accordance with the requirements of the defence, public order and national security system as well as those of other beneficiaries;

– to organize post-academic courses;

– to carry out academic scientific research.

From December 2008  until October 2010 the Military Technical Academy  was organized into two  faculties, one college and a department: The Faculty of Mechatronics and Integrated Armament Systems, the Faculty of Military Electronic  and Information Systems, the Defense and Security Technical College and the Department of Foreign Languages.

Starting with 1October 2010, the Military Technical Academy is structured into two faculties: the Faculty of Mechatronics and Integrated Armaments Systems and  the Faculty of Military Electronic and Information Systems .

Throughout its existence, in the Military Technical Academy there have been trained more than 7.100 engineer officers who have honored competently the positions to which they were appointed, developing careers in the defence system structures, public order and national security,  governmental structures, private industry, well known international companies and even in politics.

Important dates

1995  : MTA  was handed the combat colors  by Presidential Decree no 75 of 4 May 1995.

2009  : MTA’s combat colors was decorated with the Military Virtue Order- rank- Knight  by the Presidential Decree no. 1063 of 17 June 2009.

11 July 2009:  the  MTA celebrated 60 years of existence and the graduation of the first class of Bologna engineer  officers.

2010: MTA was evaluated internationally by the RAQAHE being given “HIGH CONFIDENCE RATING”

2011: following the evaluation of Romanian universities in accordance to European criteria, the Military Technical Academy is placed in the category of education and scientific research universities.

COMMANDANTS (RECTORS)

Major General
STOICESCU I. MARIN
1949-1951

Rear Admiral eng.
MARTES V. GRIGORE
1957-1959

Lieutenant General
BUTOI B. IOSIF
1951-1957

Army General
TECLU IACOB
1959-1965

Army General
TUTOVEANU ION
1965-1981

Colonel General
LOGOFATU GHEORGHE
1981-1990

Lieutenant General  prof. dr. eng.
ISPAS C. STEFAN
1990-1991

Division General prof. dr .eng.
PAPUC I. FLORINEL
Rector 1991-2001

Air Flotilla General
prof. dr. eng.
GAVRILA C. JAN
Rector 2004-2006

Colonel prof. dr. eng.
RUSSU MARIUS
2001-2003

Brigadier General prof. dr. eng.
FUIOREA Gh. ION
2003-2004

Brigadier General  prof. univ. dr. ing.
SAFTA DORU-GHEORGHE
Rector July2004-September 2004
2006-2009

Colonel prof. dr. eng
BARBU A. CRISTIAN
The current Rector of the MTA